Warrant of restitution; In this article, we will discuss what happens in rent court in the district court of Maryland. First, we will define terms that are commonly heard during rent court. Then we will discuss the step involved in preparing to go to rent court and what you expect during a hearing. Finally, we will talk about what may happen after the court has a major decision in your case.

This article is not about the rent escrow;

Rent escrow can be a defense a tenant reason and failure to pay rent case. or a separate legal action brought by a tenant to force a landlord to repair dangerous conditions in a  rental property.Mostly, as a tenant, you have to be fully aware of the “court process” if your landlord file a case due to unpaid rent, therefore this article for the tenant.

To learn more about Rent escrow, check out  our article about Rent Escrow Baltimore City ”,

“My landlord is taking me to court for unpaid rent” sheriff's office

Frequently Used Terms

Some terms commonly heard in rent court.


The person or business that owns and leases housing to other people. In rent court, a landlord may be represented by anyone including an agent or property manager. Be sure you know the precise name of the person or business on your lease so you can recognize your case when it’s called in court.


A tenant is a person or group of people who rent and live in a property.

Rent Ledger;

Rent ledger is a written record your landlord is required to maintain the keep track of rent money paid.

Service Or Service Of Process;

Service or service of process; means how the tenant is notified that a case has been filed with the court. If your landlord has filed the case for fill you’re to pay rent. The court more shares mailed copies of the court notice. The sheriff’s office department will also post a copy of the notice on the door to your home.

Right Of Redemption;

As a tenant, you may have a right of redemption. This means you have the right to redeem the property and cancel any eviction by paying all rent due plus cost before the share execute the eviction.

This is sometimes called pay and stay. Later, in this article, we will discuss what can you do when you have this right.

Warrant Of Restitution;

You may also hear the term warrant of restitution. If the judge finds that you or rent the landlord may ask the court grand a warrant of restitution. This court document indicates that the court authorizes any eviction. If rent is not paid and the judge signs the warrant, the warrant is forwarded sheriff’s department schedule any eviction dates.

Even if the court has issued a warrant of restitution, you may have the right to stay if you pay the full amount of rent the court finds to be done, and other outstanding costs before the election.


Finally, your landlord may be required to file or provide proof of licensing. Many areas in Maryland require a landlord to get a housing registration license before renting residential property to a tenant.

Lead Certificate;

Some landlords may be required to file a lead certificate. Maryland law requires owners of rental properties built before 1978 to register their unit with the Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE).

Can a Landlord Sue You Without a Lease?

Before The Court; Unpaid Rent

My Landlord Is Taking Me To Court For Unpaid Rent

What happens before the cases file in court? What happens if you do not pay rent that it’s due. First, if you have a lease, you should read it carefully. Make sure you know your responsibilities as well as the landlord.

If you are not paid rent because you do not have money. Start thinking about your options. Are you working? Do you have a steady source of income such as social security or retirement funds? Are you expecting a bonus check, overtime pay, or tax refund?

Can you borrow money from a friend or family member to get cut up?. If you think you can get cut up and have the ability to contain you to pay monthly rent, talk to your landlord about a possible payment plan to get current with your rent.

Make sure you understand the term of the payment plan. If you are able to make a partial payment then the landlord agreed to not file a case or proceed with any eviction. If you do not have the money to pay and you do not think you will be able to get cutoff. You have to think about other options.

Contact your local department of social services for information about one-time emergency rent assistance.

Preparing To Go To Court

If you can work out an agreement with the landlord or can’t come up with the money, what will happen next? If the landlord files a court case the sheriff or the court will mail the hearing notice to you. The sheriff will also post a notice on the front door of your home. Failure to pay rent cases move very quickly.

In some colony, you may have a court hearing within several days after the landlord files the court papers. If you make any payment to rent, get receipts, or keep a record of the payments. you can bring receipts, cancel checks, or any other proof of payment to the court. 

Also, you pay cash to the landlord he must give you a receipt. If you pay all of the rent and required cost that you own before the court date make sure to call the court and confirm that the case has been dismissed by the landlord.

Sometimes, the case has not been dismissed, go to court, and bring proof that you paid the rent. Finally, consider visiting court before your hearing to watch other hearings to see what happens in rent court.

In Court

Arrive early. If you see the landlord you may talk to him or her before the hearing to try and resolve the issue. At that time, you have the rent pay by cash certify check or money order and get a receipt. If you pay in cash the landlord must give you a receipt.

Otherwise, you and the landlord come to an agreement get it in writing. Remember, do not leave the court even if there isn’t an agreement. You have to make sure the judge knows you have paid rent or reach an agreement.

file a appeal completing form and writing
You can use form DC-CV-037 to file an appeal

After Court

If either you or the landlord disagrees with the judge’s decision, you or the landlord may file an appeal. You must file your appeal within four business days of the judgment. Also, you can use form DC-CV-037 to file an appeal. 

Similar Articles  


Write A Comment